15/07/2011

The Geekness: London Film and Comic Con

Last weekend, Earl's Court, London was invaded by superheroes, supervillians, horror stars, Disney stars, anime characters and much much more as London's annual Film and Comic Con went underway.



Though heavily overshadowed by America's many Comic Con's the turn out for this geek-fest was an incredible thing to witness. Throughout the Saturday, the day that I went, the queue went around the whole of the venue up to Earl's Court Station.  Ranging from the most complex cos-play to the simply dressed comic book and movie fans lined up to trade, play and meet some big stars. 

Of those appearing, many descend for Doctor Who's Karen Gilligan, The Lost  Boy's star Corey Feldmen and the one and only Christopher Lloyd. Also stars from popular films such has Star Wars and  Harry Potter.

So I'm a self-professed geek; I love film, comic and TV but I have a confession. I have never been to a Comic Con before so I when I arrived to the sites and smells of LFCC I was full of excitement

Despite the long queues, it took five minutes to enter and scout around. The main areas were filled with traders and everyone flurried around for the latest and most expensive of collectibles and comics. These included a surprise appearance from the weird and creepy Big Brothers Marcus and  avid Disney Pin Traders who had plentiful pins across the globe. For a few of them that I spoke to, they constantly go into the stores and around the parlks for the latest limited Edition Pins and like most of these Traders was in awe of there determination and huge obession.

At the back of the room the stars wait and for a while I was giddy to meet some people I admired. The queues were long for the big names like Christopher Lloyd and I was willing to wait. Unfortunately, that willingness was halted by the price. For an autograph it cost from £10 to £25 and I hadn't enough for one! I hung my head down low and walked away.

Its not all disappointing though, the lower billed stars such as Harry Melling and Devon Murrery (Dudley and Seamus from the Harry Potter series) they were willing to meet and pose for photos for free. Shaky and nervouse were a few words  as I met, though not the main players, but people who helped shaped a big chunk of my childhood for the big screen. Here are the pictures;



I also got to see Corey Feldman and Christopher Lloyd which was kind of great though I didn't get to meet them. There were also names such as the great Harry Baker and some woman from Saw



On the other side of the venue were the games; from the new 3DS to simple Pokemon Card Battles, there were people coming together to play. And that's when me and my friend Sophie caught the sight of a dance machine. In seconds we were on that thing dancing away.

To what you ask?

What songs could we pick to bust some moves and shock everyone that yes, I can dance.

Why we picked...


NYAN CAT!!!!

Overall though, LFCC was certainly an experience. There were parts over-hyped and missed the mark completely, for example the promised set from Harry Potter that the website made to be huge turned out to be a few bits of furniture.

But, though the highlight for me were the fans. Those dedicated enough to slap on paint and create their favourite characters. Such as Captain Spaulding from House Of 1000 Corpse



Those willing to shell out hundreds of pounds for an autograph or a photograph. Those whose life was made by these weekend and who will continue to be proud proud Geeks.

I know I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment